Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need background infoon Altec Lansing Model 14

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member melomane's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2009
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Need background infoon Altec Lansing Model 14

    A member of High Efficiency Speaker Asylum referred me to this site. This is my first post here and I should at least provide some background on me. I?m a music lover who?s heavily into vinyl (around 3K) and tubes.

    At this point, I would like to try out a Elekit TU-873LEII 300B Power Amplifier SET but my current speakers Duntech Marquis are not efficient enough at 92dB. So I started looking for more efficient speakers and to that end a pair of Altec Lansing Model 14 have shown up locally.

    I am visiting the seller to listen to them first as I have never heard this model and I don?t know yet if they will suit my taste or not. How will the Model 14 stack up compared to the Marquis? I have no clue. The only other horn type model I listened to was a pair of Klipschorn and that was many years ago.

    I was wondering if members here with experience on the Model 14 could provide me with information about what I should look for when I have the speakers in front of me. Any information that would help me determine the extent to which the used Model 14 I will see is in top shape, or not, would be much appreciated.

    Here is the feedback I received up to now from members at High Efficiency Speaker Asylum.

    1) Bastard-sized woofer with a foam edge. Make sure it's original and been recently re-foamed.?

    How can I determine if it?s original or not?

    2) Make sure that the woofers and the compression drivers are stock units - and have not changed at some point. If you can get a look at the backs of the drivers, the horns should have model 902 (I think) compression drivers and the woofer cones should have a white EIA number stamped on them 391xxx - with 391 meaning Altec followed by single digit for year, and then two digits for the week of the year.?

    3) The Model 14s I've seen use 902s without back caps or model identification. (Back caps not being needed because of the diaphragm loading caps.)

    By any chance would there be a site where I could see stock pictures of what is referred to above in points 1 to 3? As I have never seen this model this would help me a lot to determine if it?s stock, or not , and the modifications that have been made on it, if any.

    Would a 300B integrated amp set that deliver 8 watts per channel be sufficient to drive the Model 14?

    I?m meeting the seller this evening.

    In essence what should I look for when looking and listening at a pair of used Altec Lansing Model 14.

    I apologize for the long post but I am a bit in the dark here.

    I hope I am posting this at the right place.

    Thanks in advance for sharing your experience on the Model 14 with me.

    Pierre

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Need background infoon Altec Lansing Model 14

    The forum's 'search' feature isn't too good, but Richard C. has posted about his M14s as well as developed an apparently better XO, so browse his posts to get at least some of your Qs answered while waiting: http://www.hostboard.com/forums/sear...searchid=35388

    Brochure: MODEL 14

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Need background infoon Altec Lansing Model 14

    1) Bastard-sized woofer with a foam edge. Make sure it's original and been recently re-foamed.?

    How can I determine if it?s original or not?
    It's a rather unique basket as it uses the nearly 1 inch wide gasket commonly found on the later model large frame 15 inch woofers.

    This isn't 100% conclusive as the model 15 used a woofer that is the same in appearance, with a slightly different motor and parameters, but the wide gasket will ensure fairly good odds that the woofers are original.

    I'm searching for a photo of an OEM 902 driver to no avail, will post one if i can find it.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Need background infoon Altec Lansing Model 14

    Link to photos of 902 with rear cover on and also with rear cover removed showing loading cap.

    http://www.cpcaudio.com/altec_lansin...ds/hf/hf_3.pdf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.